Sometimes you want a crunch and sometimes you want a chew! This recipe is for those chewy days, days when you want to linger over a cookie whilst mulling over an interesting concept. I’d like to think of this as the intellectual cookie, the one to hand out during a deep discussion. Well, maybe that’s overdoing it a bit, but its a cookie that will make everything seem right with the world and give you a great bit bear hug of comfort! They also keep and travel well, so are perfect for this current picnic season and some will definitely be coming along to sports day with us.
Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup oat milk (Oatly for me)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips- grease 2 cookie sheets
– Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade/gas mark 3
– Whisk together the sugars, oil, milk, cornflour and vanilla.
– Sift in the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate and salt and combine to a soft dough
– Stir in the chocolate chips
– Roll into walnut sized balls, place well apart on the baking sheets and press down slightly.
– Bake for 10 minutes
– Leave to cool briefly on the sheets (they will firm up quickly) before transferring to wire racks.
– Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.