3 or 4,5,6 – whatever number of bean varieties you like! In my opinion bean salads benefit from either simplicity or variety and this version wins on the variety front. The sweet, sticky and tangy marinade transports these simple beans to the realms of yummy salad – 1000 miles away from those tins of bean salad that are available in supermarkets, the type of bean salad to make you wish you’d never encounter a cold bean ever again! I tend to add celery but in retrospect I think I’ll leave it out next time – it’s such a strong flavour that it overpowers the delicate sweetness of the beans.
3 Bean Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 big bowlful
- Equivalent to 3 tins of 3 varieties of beans (or how ever many varieties you fancy!)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar or other sharp vinegar
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- Large handful parsley, chopped
– Plunge the red onion in icy cold water and leave for 20 or so minutes to remove some of the onion ‘bite’
– In the serving bowl, whisk together the vinegars, oil, sugar and salt.
– Drain the onions and mix into the dressing with all the other ingredients
– Leave to marinade for a few hours, or preferably overnight.