Why buy a ready-made salad pot when this one tastes far better, can be whipped up in moments and you have the satisfaction of homemade food? Beetroot can certainly divide opinion – when I was in primary school I distinctly remember beetroot being served with everything (and I mean those cold vinegary slices) – sausages and beetroot anyone?! It took me a long while to come to like those earthy red roots after that chilling start!
But I’ve really come round to the earthy vegetables. Such a fine colour, great in salads, make beautiful soup. This one’s a salad dish that’s sweet but sharp and punchy, versatile and very simple.
Fiery Beetroot Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 4 beetroots, cooked and cut into cubes
- 3 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp smokey chipotle Tabasco sauce, or other chilli sauce of choice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
– Mix together the vinegar, oil, Tabasco, sugar and salt
– Pour over the beetroot and spring onions
– Mix delicately so the spring onions don’t go completely red! Some redness is inevitable.
This looks lovely! I love beetroot and Tabasco, but never tried them together in a salad!
It really works! Hope you give it a try 🙂
Chipotle Tabasco is one of my favourite things in the world!
Us too! So versatilte and peps up so many things 🙂
Great simple idea that I must try.
So simple but tasty – I have to track down some of that smokey Tabasco!