Light and Airy Chocolate Mousse

egg-free, dairy-free light and airy chocolate mousse A classic chocolate mousse is such an iconic, desirable pudding that few can resist. I’ve got other delicious chocolate puddings on my blog: rich chocolate pots, chocolate mousse cakes and chocolate fondants but nothing that is quite like this light and airy classic chocolate mousse that any chocolate lover will find utterly irresistible. There’s something so amazing about the light and bubbly texture of a mousse; an indulgent dessert is transformed into a delicate and light delight.

This recipe makes chocolate mousse which is as bubbly, light and airy as a traditional (egg-containing) mousse. In fact, its maybe even better, lighter and fluffier than a traditional egg white based mousse. My girls were in rapture, declaring these mousses an utter triumph and far superior to any store bought chocolate pudding. They really are so light.

Make sure you keep checking the Facebook group: Vegan meringues hit and misses for more inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

decadent freefrom chocolate mousse Light and Airy Chocolate Mousse (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, can be gluten-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) vegan chocolate mousse Makes 4 ramekin sized mousses

• 100 g dark dairy-free chocolate
  • 1/3 cup aquafaba also known as the water from a tin of beans or chickpeas
  • Large pinch of cream of tartar, maybe about 1/8th tsp
  • 2 tbsps caster sugar
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free cream, I used Oatly
  • 1 tsp vanilla

20150516-072741.jpg

1. Using a stand mixer or a handheld electric whisk, beat the aquafaba with the cream of tartar until it forms light clouds of meringue style foam. Beat in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Set aside.
  2. Melt the chocolate either over a Bain Marie or in a microwave, stir in the dairy-free cream a little at a time so the mixture doesn’t seize up. Stir in the vanilla
  3. Beat 1/4 of the meringue mix into the chocolate cream to slacken the mixture. Gently fold in the rest of the meringue mixture, trying to keep as much volume as possible
  4. Pour into 4 ramekins and place in the fridge for at least an hour to set.

20150516-072816.jpg

Link up your recipe of the week

1. chefconnie says:

A great chocolate mousse should always be in your recipe box. This one looks perfect.

They were so light and fluffy they went down a storm! X

2. Leila says:

I just made it and put them in the freezer to keep it cool. What a fantastic recipe. Thank you for sharing.

How did they turn out? Hope you enjoyed ๐Ÿ™‚

3. YOU ARE A GENIUS. This is amazing! I’ve missed chocolate mousse since becoming vegan, so I can’t wait to make this chocolate mousse! ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope you like this as much as we do – I’d day it’s better than egg based choc mousse ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Wow – such a simple recipe and I still can’t believe the chickpea juice – it works wonders!

5. This recipe looks amazing, can’t wait to try it out! I absolutely adore chocolate mousse and have not had any for years. Thank you for this recipe x

I do hope you try it – I don’t think you’ll be disappointed ๐Ÿ™‚

6. wheelie38 says:

Great recipe, I’ve often wondered about the water from chickpeas… now I know what to do with it. #RecipeOfTheWeek

7. Naomi says:

This is pure genius! Could I use coconut cream for the “dairy free cream”?

Absolutely ๐Ÿ™‚