I think it’s going to be a bumper blackberry year – the bushes are already bowing down with the little back gems. I managed a fine harvest from just over the garden wall – goodness knows how many I could have got if I’d gone further afield! So you should be warned – blackberry recipes are a coming!
This is maybe an unusual combination, you would normally expect apple with blackberry, rather than banana, but it works really well. The blackberries add a delicate blackberry fragrance along with their pretty jewel pops of colour and the mellow sweetness of banana combines to form a winning combination. This loaf cake is the perfect start to autumn, a nod of the produce to come, whilst still being sunny and summery with its banana flavours.
Blackberry and Banana Loaf Cake
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 large banana, mashed or processed to a purée
2 large handfuls of blackberries
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4. Line a loaf tin.
- Mix together the mashed or puréed banana, oil, water, vanilla and lemon and set aside
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar. Stir in the blackberries and make sure they are coated in the flour – this should prevent them from dropping to the bottom of the cake
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until well combined
- Pour into the lined loaf tin. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 40-50 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.