I do like scones, they’re such a delightful teatime snack. Not too sweet, light and fluffy, the perfect accompaniment to some tasty or interesting jam and a doddle to make as long as you’re light handed and respectful of the dough. I’ve made any varieties, with particular favourites being lemon drizzle and blueberry. I recently bought the fantastic 80 cakes by Claire Clark and its providing me with lots of inspiration. She features some ginger and molasses scones which for some reason got me thinking of combining the flavours of sticky toffee pudding and transporting them into a scone recipe. Sticky toffee scones! Now that sounds like a great idea.
In fact it turns out to be an awesome idea, why don’t people make sticky toffee scones all the time? The mellow sweetness of the whizzed up dates is perfect in the not so sweet scone template and who can resist a sticky, crunchy top?
Sticky Toffee Scones
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegan, vegetarian)
100ml dairyfree milk
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g caster sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
75g dairy-free margarine
1 tbsp golden syrup
Extra dairyfree milk for brushing
2 tbsp Demerara sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade
- Simmer together half (50ml) of the milk with the dates until soft. Whizz up in a food processor/ blender to form a puree. Add the bicarbonate and set aside.
- Into a bowl sift the flour and baking powder, stir in the caster sugar.
- Rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the date puree and the remaining 50 ml of dairy-free milk. Gently bring together to a soft sticky dough. Do not knead.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and pat out to about 5cm thick. Cut out circles and place on a floured baking tray.
- Brush with the extra milk and sprinkle with Demerara.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and risen.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Yummy – licks screen. I *need* these in my life please and thank you. XOXO – Bacon
Wow Lucy, your scones rose so high and fluffy, definitely a goal of mine to get that height with my scone making. I love that they Sticky Toffee flavored as well! How yummy 😀
thanks Jess x