Since I seem to be on a cereal tip at the moment, here’s another cookie recipe featuring cornflakes.An update of a recipe first posted way back in 2016 these cookies definitely worthy of making, not just sitting way back in my old blog posts.
First created after a bit of research into International cookies and to help ‘ Spring cleaning’ my larder, using up bits and bobs that had been lurking at the back of the shelves. As you can imagine, my larder is pretty stuffed with ingredients, so any additional space is always most welcome. So, that large half-used pack of cornflakes was definitely in my sights. It was using up far too much space! And that cookie jar needed filling.
Apparently chocolate cornflake cookies, also known as Afghan cookies are extremely popular in New Zealand. Worth investigating, I thought. The traditional Afghan cookie is a chocolate cookie, studded with crunchy cornflakes, topped with a rich ganache and with a walnut sitting on top. I’m obviously going to skip the walnuts, but the rest is pretty much fitting the brief. There are many theories as to the origins of the name because these cookies are all Kiwi rather than Afghan. One is that they might have been sent to soldiers fighting in the second Afghan war in the 19th Century by their wives back in New Zealand. Like a predecessor to the more universally known Anzac cookies. Or another theory is that they could just look like the mountainous landscape of Afghanistan.
I hope you like these crunchy chocolatey biscuits – they went down a treat here
Chocolate Cornflake Cookies aka Afghan Cookies
200g dairy-free margarine
50g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
175g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1tbsp dairy-free milk
- Cream together the margarine and sugars.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Adding the dairy-free milk to slacken the mixture and making it easier to combine.
- Gently stir in the cornflakes, trying to keep them as whole as possible
- Place tablespoons of the mixture into a lined baking sheet, with enough room to spread. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade
- Cool on a wire rack
For the icing:
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsps dairy-free margarine
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Melt together the water, caster sugar, vanilla and margarine. Bring to a bubbling syrup and then pour in the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Stir to form glossy icing.
- Spread over the cookies and leave to set.