There are good cookies and then there are great cookies, and these are definitely in the realms of really really great. I’ve always had a fondness for a really fabulous chocolate chip cookie, I’ve even got at least three cookbooks solely dedicated to the fabulous CCC, and so any new recipe I come across I just have to try and make a friendly version to see if it could be the the best CCC yet.
Here is my version of the famous New York Times chocolate chip cookie, which they claim to be the best in the world, and having made my own tweaks and changes I think they might be onto something. These really are spectacular New York style choc chip cookies. I know there is a lot of room for preferences in the cookie world but in my mind a crisp yet chewy exterior with a soft and yielding interior is just about perfect, and these have all those features in abundance.
I’ve followed the advice for two types of flour, both strong bread flour and plain flour and for the dough to ‘hydrate’ in the fridge for at least 12 hours before shaping and baking so get the very best chew. It really does make a difference, the resulting cookies have the perfect texture and no hint of crunch or sog!
Most traditional chocolate chip cookies use egg and I’ve replaced that not with the conventional flax seed or applesauce but with a combination of custard powder and milk. You’ve probably realised by now that I like to use custard powder as an ingredient to bind and also give an extra oomph of vanilla flavour, but I’ve not used it in a cookie recipe before. I certainly will again, as the results are just perfect. In fact the resulting dough is quite forgiving; if you like your cookies extra brown still taste great, just with a little more toasty flavour. As you can see from my photos I’ve tried both with more and less cooking, and they all taste just as delicious, it just depends on what level of golden you like to your cookie!
These cookies can be made into giant coffee shop style cookies, or into smaller versions, all you need to do is adjust the cooking time as stated in the recipe below.
I really hope you’ll try this cookie recipe, the results are quite revolutionary and I’m certain they will become a family favourite for you too.
New York Style Perfect Choc Chip Cookies
- 120 g dairy-free butter
- 100 g soft brown or demerara sugar
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp custard powder or cornflour
- 1 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 80 g plain flour
- 100 g strong bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g chocolate chips or chopped
- 20 g extra choc
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle
- Cream together the dairy-free butter with the brown and caster sugars. Stir in the custard powder and milk.
- Sift in both flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir to form a soft but thick dough. Stir in the chocolate chips so they are evenly mixed through the dough. Cover the dough or place in a Tupperware box and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
- Roll the dough into 8 large balls or 16 small and place well-spaced onto the cookie sheets. Press the extra chocolate into the top of the balls and sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt
- Bake for 14-18 minutes for the large cookies (10-12 minutes for the small) until they are lightly golden around the edges. Cool briefly on the cookie sheets until set and then transfer to wire racks. These keep really well for a few days in an airtight container
- Or roll the dough into balls and then freeze: to bake from frozen simply add a minute or two to the baking time