Little S wanted to take in some biscuits/cakes that her lovely teacher could enjoy too (Mrs L doesn’t eat gluten and I’m not very practiced at gluten-free cake making), so I reverted back to one of my all time favourite recipes, super-duper amazingly gooey flapjacks and made a few tweaks here and there. I only had giant oats (managed to buy them by mistake) and would have preferred to use normal rolled oats, but the final result was pretty good and they certainly had more of an oaty appearance. These really are awesome flapjacks.
Super-duper Gooey Chocolate Flapjacks
makes about 24
- 200g dairy free spread (I use Pure soya or sunflower)
- 200g demerara sugar
- 200g golden syrup
- 400g oats
- 1/2 tsp salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- 90g chopped dairy-free chocolate, such as Kinnerton
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade
– Line a 30×20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil
– Melt together the dairy free spread, sugar, syrup and salt
– When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats.
– Gently stir in the chopped chocolate
– Spread into the lined baking tray
– Bake for 15-20 mins until golden
– Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.
– Try not to eat too many!!