It’s the 4th July and in honour of my American readers I’ve decided to give a Brit’s take on a classic American meal – dairy, egg and nut-free of course. I’ve decided on spicy bean burgers, seedy ‘slaw, baked paprika fries and this zingy, spicy corn salad. This will be follow by apple pies or cheesecake – that important decision has yet to be made! All those recipes will follow, but for now it’s the Spicy Corn Salad – an ideal accompaniment to a BBQ.
Spicy Corn Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
serves 4 as a side
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- small handful of coriander, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
– Shave the kernels off the ears of corn.
– Preheat the olive oil in a frying pan.
– Add the corn, chilli, spring onions and a large pinch of salt. Saute for 5 or so minutes until the corn is cooked through (you may need to taste a kernel)
– Add the other ingredients (except coriander) and thoroughly mix.
– Pour into a decorative bowl and let cool.
– Once cool check the seasoning and stir in the coriander.