The Wimbledon Tennis Championship is a big thing in the UK, particularly this year with Andy Murray in the final – the first time a Brit has been in the Wimbledon men’s final for a very, very, long time (74 years for any sports statisticians!). I’m not very interested in the sport, but this seems like an important event. Also, seeing as it’s the worst summer ever in the UK, it’s still going to be pouring with rain so family viewing of the final offers the perfect Sunday afternoon activity.
To accompany our tennis viewing we’ll be eating scones and homemade strawberry jam – how very British! To us Brits Wimbledon is tennis, with a dash of rain and some strawberries. So, the inspiration for this recipe is definitely the Wimbledon final…. Come on Andy!
Speedy Soft Set Strawberry Jam (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes a small jar
- 200g strawberries
- 150g granulated sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lime
– Hull the strawberries and cut into quarters. Place in a saucepan and pulverise with a potato masher.
– Add the sugar and lime juice and stir over a low heat to melt.
– Bring to a rolling boil and cook vigorously for 8 minutes
– Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool.
– Keep in the fridge for up to three weeks.