Peppermint Creams

on

For our second home cooking class we made peppermint creams, a classic recipe for involving children, and it was a good choice, they had loads of safe fun with no sharp knives or naked flames in sight! Most peppermint cream recipes involve condensed milk or egg in some form, but this one is totally dairy-free and as authentic and tasty as can be. They would make a great gift, or after dinner treat.

Peppermint CreamsΒ (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan – soya-free if you don’t coat them with chocolate)

makes 22-24

• 2 1/2 tbsps dairy-free spread, melted
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 85g dairy-free dark chocolate

– Place the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl.

– Add the melted spread, peppermint extract and water and mix to form a soft (but not sticky) dough. If it’s too wet add more icing sugar, if too dry, add more water.

– Knead lightly on a surface dusted with icing sugar.

– Roll out to 1/2 – 1/4 cm thickness and cut out disc shapes with a cookie cutter.

– Place on a lined baking sheet and leave overnight in a cool dry place to dry out. Make sure you turn them over so they dry on both sides.

– Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a bain marie.

– Dip the dried peppermint patties in the melted chocolate, making sure they are well coated.

– Place back on the lined baking sheet and leave to set in the fridge.

– Keep refrigerated.

1. I love peppermint creams – never thought to make them though – maybe now I will!

These are definitely worth making πŸ™‚

2. I can’t believe how easy this is. Yum!

They really are yum!

3. bubblybaker says:

Yummmm I love peppermint creams!! And I can’t believe how easy the recipe is too!! Definitely must give this a go! πŸ™‚

I hope you make some… Let me know how they turn out!

It’s dangerous to get behind on catching up on your blog. I want to make everything and eat it NOW! I love peppermint creams, but the U.S. versions have dairy or egg. Only junior mints are dairy free, but they are full of high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. This is a way better alternative!

I thought I’d start to run out of recipes, but the vegan options seems to be just endless! It’s so much better to make rather than buy – although I’m not sure it’s much cheaper! x

Please oh please don’t run out of recipes…. πŸ˜‰

5. Natalie says:

i’m from germany and i can’t translate what the spread in this recipe is supposed to be…can you please help me. maybe by linking the product you used…i want to make this sooooo bad! :-*

I use pure sunflower spread. Any dairy-free butter or margarine would work fine πŸ™‚

6. Yum! I have made a version with Ritz crackers, but these look much more like the York counterparts!

Mmm, using Ritz crackers sounds interesting! You can’t beat a mint choc πŸ™‚

7. Lel says:

Woo!! Definitely will be making these for the wedding. Perhaps in little hear shapes? Any idea how long they will keep in the fridge? Trying to plan my attack and leave at least the day before cooking free!x

Ohh little heart shapes would look so cute at a wedding :-). they would keep fine for a few days, and if it wasn’t too hot they’d probably be ok in a covered box in a cool place but not in the fridge (the cold might give the chocolate a less attractive white ‘bloom’) x

8. Brittany says:

Wow I need these right now!!

9. Corrine says:

Another sweet treat I can make that my little boy can have. He is dairy free and nut free, and I wouldnt want to put the egg in for a 3 year old. I swapped the marg for coconut oil to attempt to make it a healthy sweet. Thank you for this.

Hope he likes them – everyone needs a treat now and then πŸ™‚

10. Lisa Berger says:

is there a way to make them without any oil? I saw a recipe using Swerve confectioners sugar and can’t find the recipe. I am pretty sure there was no oil of any kind.

Some people use aquafaba so you could try that x