This was the salad we had to accompany our Opening Ceremony BBQ. In my experience ‘the veggie’ always does rather badly at BBQs….. Almost always an after-thought, and then there’s the issue of meaty/fishy BBQ grills….. This is also very much the case for anyone with allergies, let’s hope the unsafe marinade doesn’t drip onto the safe grill area.
A stunning salad can always cheer up the proceedings and bring to life the sad almost burnt veggie skewer. This little beauty of a salad is a mexican style meal in a bowl…. And I guarantee you’ll eat better than those tucking into the frazzled BBQ offerings!
Warm Rice and Mexican Bean Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tin borlotti beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsps chipotle chilli paste
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of coriander, chopped
– Cook the rice and place in a bowl.
– Heat some oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and chipotle puree and gently cook out.
– Add the beans, honey and vinegar. Cook until the beans are nicely warmed through. Check the seasoning and pour over the rice in the serving bowl.
– Make the salsa of avocado, spring onion, lime juice, coriander and seasoning. Taste.
– Scatter over the beans and eat straight away.