The remaining punnet of lovely local strawberries was starting to look a bit sorry in the fridge, and there was a big handful of very very ripe cherries. What to do? I couldn’t waste this berry deliciousness. Hence this berry-tastic Cherry Berry Compote, the perfect way to use up slightly sad looking overripe fruit and lovely with a bit of crunchy munchy granola and soya yogurt – we’ll be having lovely breakfasts this week!
Berry Cherry Compote (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 jarful
- 1 cup ripe strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup ripe cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
– In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar into the water and bring to the boil.
– Carefully add the fruit.
– Bring back to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until a bit thickened and syrupy.
– Cool and keep in the fridge.