Puddings/desserts can be quite tricky if you avoid dairy and eggs – most puds you come across are intrinsically full of the ingredients you want to avoid, particularly any ‘wow, I really really want to eat that’ kind of pudding. This pudding (in my opinion) gives the wow factor, but with allergy-friendly content and the result tastes amazing!
I’m rather proud of this recipe… So simple but utterly delicious and fools non-vegans every time 😉
Chocolate Mousse Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes one 8 inch cake
- 150g dairy-free digestive biscuits, such as waitrose own brand
- 50g dairy-free spread, melted
- 300ml (one pack) soya whipping cream , I used Soyatoo
- 100g dairy-free chocolate. I used Kinnerton
– Grease and line a springform cake tin
– Crush the biscuits and add the melted spread. Stir until well combined.
– Press into the base of the cake tin and place in the fridge to set
– Whip the soya whipping cream on high speed for at least two minutes, or until light and fluffy.
– In a microwave or a Bain Marie melt the chocolate.
– Gently stir the chocolate into the cream until well combined.
– Pour onto the biscuit base and level off the top.
– Place in the fridge to set.
– Remove from the tin and decorate as desired.
Unbelievable Lucy! Where the heck is that soyatoo in the states!?! Maybe I’m not looking hard enough!
I think they sell it in Whole Foods, Wild Oats and an online store called VeganEssentials… it’s really fabulous stuff so worth seeking out…. they also do a brilliant squirty soya cream in a can that is perfect for topping hot choc 😉 I used to use Crem-o-vita which also worked really well but it doesn’t seem available in the UK any more.
Oh thanks Lucy! I must not be looking in the right aisles, but then again, Whole Foods is a bit of a trek for me, so I don’t go often. I’ll seek it out next time I’m there and let you know what I think! xx
Ooh! I’ve tried that squirty Soyatoo! It was so yummy, I used it on everything. I may have even been caught squirting it straight onto a spoon (a few times) 🙂
Lucy, you’ve outdone yourself! The cake looks fantastic!… I’ve never used Soyatoo, but after seeing this, I’m really eager to give it a try.
Thanks! It’s really worth finding some Soyatoo and giving it a go… a very very easy impressive pudding, what could be better!
This looks awesome! I can’t use soy whip but I can rice whip, I’m so trying this!
I’ve seen the rice whip but not yet tried it…..let me know how it turns out 🙂
Sweet, sweet, sweet. Sweet! Cor, what a treat. Thanks as always Lucy. We’ll save this one for xmas time, trick a few relatives into eating something different. Happy days, lee