Winter is the perfect time to ring the changes with coleslaw. All those cabbages are at their best and the wintery feel gives the perfect excuse to use different flavours.
Red cabbage, spiked with green coriander, white spring onions and crunchy sunflower seeds make a tasty crunchy side that is – in the words of Michel Roux Jr. – ‘pretty as a picture’ (incidentally, that scores one point in Masterchef bingo).
Winter Slaw (dairy-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, can be egg-free if you use egg-free mayo, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 tbsps sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/2 red apple, finely sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 tbsps coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsps mayonnaise (use egg-free if needed)
– Toss the apple in the lemon juice to prevent it browning.
– Mix together the vinegar and mayo.
– Add all the other ingredients except half the sunflower seeds, mix well.
– Top with the remaining sunflower seeds and an extra sprinkle of coriander.