I keep on admiring the beautiful pomegranates in the shops – they look so tempting with the expectation of those beautiful little rubies inside. So, I’ve been thinking of a way to use these little jewels in an exciting way.
This jewelled couscous is colourful, tasty, and a great way to make a statement. Ideal served at room temperature as either a side-dish or a salad. A perfect little pop of colour in these bleak, cold winter months.
Jewelled Couscous (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup of couscous
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 handful of sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 a pomegranate
- 1 handful sultanas (optional)
- 1 large handful parsley, roughly chopped
– Pour the couscous into a flat-ish bowl
– Place water, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
– Once boiling, pour over the couscous. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
– Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add the other ingredients.
– Serve at room temperature