I bought a stunning array of golden and stripy beetroots the other day and really wanted a way to make that natural beauty shine. I thought cooking might dull their colours, so after some online research realised that you can eat raw beetroot in salad (I think I knew this anyway!). It has to be cut wafer thin, or perhaps grated, but the raw beetroot taste was quite a revelation – crunchy, earthy but not overpoweringly so, and surprisingly fresh. I have no idea why we don’t all eat raw beetroot all the time.
This simple salad, best served as a side dish, is enhanced with bitter leaves, parsley and a mustardy horseradish dressing. A sort of fresh raw take on winter. Salads: love ’em summer or winter.
Beautiful Beets (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2 beetroots (preferably a pretty version), peeled and sliced very thinly.
- 1 large handful of bitter salad leaves
- a small bunch of parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp grated horseradish
- salt and pepper, to taste
– whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, horseradish and seasoning.
– Place the other ingredients on a place.
– Drizzle with the dressing.
– Can be made a few hours ahead.