Beautiful, Colourful Beets

I bought a stunning array of golden and stripy beetroots the other day and really wanted a way to make that natural beauty shine. I  thought cooking might dull their colours, so after some online research realised that you can eat raw beetroot in salad (I think I knew this anyway!). It has to be cut wafer thin, or perhaps grated, but the raw beetroot taste was quite a revelation – crunchy,  earthy but not overpoweringly so, and surprisingly fresh. I have no idea why we don’t all eat raw beetroot all the time.

This simple salad, best served as a side dish, is enhanced with bitter leaves, parsley and a mustardy horseradish dressing. A sort of fresh raw take on winter. Salads: love ’em summer or winter.

Beautiful Beets (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

serves 2IMG_4131

• 2 beetroots (preferably a pretty version), peeled and sliced very thinly.
  • 1 large handful of bitter salad leaves
  • a small bunch of parsley leaves
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp grated horseradish
  • salt and pepper, to taste

– whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, horseradish and seasoning.

– Place the other ingredients on a place.

– Drizzle with the dressing.

– Can be made a few hours ahead.

IMG_4123IMG_4132

1. Nekodomo says:

Woah… that looks like food art. Awesome colors

2. chefconnie says:

What a lovely winter salad. I need to pick up some beets at Whole Paycheck and make this!

You won’t be disappointed! 🙂

3. What a beautiful meal, fit for a princess, these pretty pink beets might be good way to convince kids to eat veggies!

You’d hope so…. Sadly mine weren’t convinced! At least they thought it looked pretty, and the adults enjoyed the earthy, tangy taste 😉

A lovely tasty colourful salad! I love my salads like this! Last year, I grew multicoloured beets like this! They are easy to grow too! 🙂

5. That looks so colourful and pretty!

Colourful food is extra welcome in these dark winter months!

6. Starr says:

Gorgeous Salad! I love all the colour and those beets are so pretty!

7. Those beets are absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you! I love colourful food… I’m sure it tastes better too!