Brrr, it’s been freezing for weeks, so soups have been a regular feature for lunch. The idea for this variation on vichyssoise came from a book by the legendary Alice Walters – I’d never really thought of messing around with the classic leek and potato combination before, but the addition of sweetcorn does add a new dimension. And say the word ‘sweetcorn’ and my children are there!
Sweetcorn and Leek Soup (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 4 leeks, whites only, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tin or 2 ears of corn, shaved off the ear
- 600ml vegetable stock
- salt and ground white pepper, to taste
– Gently sweat the leeks in the sunflower oil until they’re unctuous and soft but not browned
– Add the potatoes and sweetcorn. Stir.
– Pour over the hot stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
– Simmer (covered) for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are well cooked.
– Taste and add seasoning as required.
– Serve garnished with croutons and parsley.
CUTEST CROUTONS EVER!
No-one can resist a cute crouton 😉
A wonderful leek & corn soup with lovely star croutons! 🙂 Yummo!
Oh my yumminess. I love corn chowders. Too bad my family isn’t on board. I may have to halve the recipe and enjoy it all to myself for lunch!