Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes

I recently went in for a competition run by Hummingbird Bakery to win a copy of their new book and a KitchenAid (I dream of owning a KitchenAid!). Sadly I didn’t win, and I content myself by thinking that maybe they just didn’t want a vegan cupcake.

Anyway, I’m not bitter, I will one day own a KitchenAid, and I even went a bought a copy of Hummingbird’s ‘Home Sweet Home’ for some inspiration. You see, no hard feelings on my part!

Here’s the first recipe inspired by my new cookbook – a delicious strawberry milkshake flavoured cake using milkshake powder/Nesquik to give a thoroughly authentic taste. Enjoy.

Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes 12

• 200g self-raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 100ml sunflower oil
  • 150ml oat milk (such as Oatly)
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsps strawberry milkshake powder (Nesquik is dairy and nut-free and totally vegan)

– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5

– Place liners in a cupcake tray

– Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.

– In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, bicarb, lemon, milk shake powder and oil.

– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix, until well combines.

– 2/3rds fill the liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly golden and a knife comes out clean.

– Cool on a wire rack.

Strawberry Milkshake Frosting (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free,

vegetarian and vegan)

enough to frost the cupcakes

enough to ice 24 cupcakes

• 1/4 cup vegetable fat (such as Trex)
  • 3/4 cup dairy-free spread (such as Pure)
  • 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 cup oat milk mixed with 2 tbsps strawberry milkshake powder

– Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat.

– Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time with a splash of the oat milk, until fully combined and nice and fluffy.

– Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes.

1. chefconnie says:

Darling cupcakes.

2. livliveslife says:

I think you should have won *because* your entry was vegan! If only people knew that it often requires more skill to bake like that…

Either way, adorable cupcakes!

oh you are too kind! I would have loved that KitchenAid
      😉

Well, it’s hard for me to imagine that you wouldn’t be top of the running, but good on you for taking the high road and baking these amazing cupcakes! xx

well at least the cookbook has given me a few new ideas 😉

4. I also dream of owning a KitchenAid…I think I’ll console myself with these cupcakes until then! They look delicious and I can’t wait to make them!

Hopefully we’ll both have one some day! I hope you enjoy the cupcakes as much as we did x

5. Starr says:

Lovely cupcakes! And how did you know I was in the mood for a milkshake?… Too bad that you didn’t win, but you’ll get them next time 🙂

Ooh I hope so! 🙂

6. Love the straws! And when I lived in London, I brought my Kitchen Aid over from the states. I needed the biggest transformer you’ve ever seen to run it. It’s been back and forth over The Pond a few times, and is still working great! I hope you get one soon. 🙂

that sounds like a loved and cherished KitchenAid 🙂

7. Susan says:

Hi! This looks so good! I was wondering if I could substitute almond milk for the oat milk in the recipe?

8. Crista says:

oh, these are adorable!

9. These are so cute! They look really tasty, too. 🙂

10. What fun cupcakes! Those would be great for a little girls birthday party. Celeste 🙂

11. Sarah says:

Hi, lovely idea and I am going to try them! Do I need Trex for the icing, or can I use all vegan margarine (I use Pure)? Thanks so much; they look amazing! Sarah ;-D

I hope you like them if you try them. You can just use Pure but I recommend adding some Trex to make the icing more stable – it can sometimes remain a little sloppy with just Pure. Lx