After the choc-fest of Easter it’s time for some healthy, savoury foods .
Something Mexican, I thought. Whilst it can seem that any Mexican vegetarian dish is just an amalgamation of the same things (chilli, tomatoes, chillies, coriander, lime, beans, tortillas), I just love all those ingredients and often have an urge for Mexican food and nothing else will do. We do make a lot of tortilla-based dishes, but don’t often do anything interesting with rice.
This green rice is a great Mexican side, especially when served with refried beans (recipe to follow). It transforms plain, bland rice into a colourful herby (and spicy if you choose) option.
Mexican Green Rice (dairy-free, egg-free,nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup (packed) coriander
- 1 cup (packed) spinach and rocket mixed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
– In a blender, blitz together the water/stock, coriander and rocket and spinach.
– Saute the onion (and chilli if using) in the oil until softened but not browned.
– Add the rice and stir to combine.
– Pour in the green liquid and season well.
– Place a cartouche (parchment lid) over the rice and leave to bubble on a low heat for 17 minutes.
– Take off the cartouche and fluff up with a fork. Taste and adjust the seasoning.