Refried bean can be a bit of an acquired taste (and to be honest not the prettiest dish!), but they’re such a great vegetarian protein boost in a Mexican meal and the perfect accompaniment to green rice. This recipe converts a tin of pintos and a few choice ingredients into a creamy, tasty dish in a matter of minutes. I’ll never buy another insipid tin again.
Speedy Refried Beans (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 tin of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- a knifepoint of cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
– Saute the onion and garlic in oil until softened but not browned
– Add the beans, cumin and salt.
– Cook whilst mashing the beans with a wooden spoon, adding the lime juice and a touch of water when needed.
– Continued until you reach your desired consistency.
– Serve garnished with chilli and coriander