Speedy Refried Beans

on

Refried bean can be a bit of an acquired taste (and to be honest not the prettiest dish!), but they’re such a great vegetarian protein boost in a Mexican meal and the perfect accompaniment to green rice. This recipe converts a tin of pintos and a few choice ingredients into a creamy, tasty dish in a matter of minutes. I’ll never buy another insipid tin again.

Speedy Refried Beans (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

serves 4

• 1 tin of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • a knifepoint of cumin
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • salt
  • water

– Saute the onion and garlic in oil until softened but not browned

– Add the beans, cumin and salt.

– Cook whilst mashing the beans with a wooden spoon, adding the lime juice and a touch of water when needed.

– Continued until you reach your desired consistency.

– Serve garnished with chilli and coriander

1. So true about the look of refried beans, but they sure do taste good ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Agreed ๐Ÿ™‚

2. These look awesome- and we LOVE refried beans! We’re definitely going to have to make these!

Refried beans taste so much better than they look! Hope you give them a go ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Boy, you are on a real Mexican kick at the moment! Good for you! I’m a huge fan of the cuisine, and am lucky to have it on my doorstep. This is very similar to my “speedy” recipe, except in place of the water, I use a milk substitute or some of the bean-can water. Either way, super yummy!

I can never seem to get far from Mexican food… I bet you can get lovely stuff outside the home, but here it’s make it or don’t have it!!!

1. I used to say that the best Mexican resto in London was at my flat! ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. This sounds so yummy! Doesn’t help that it’s super easy to make. I’m going to have to try this soon. I’ve been obsessed with burritos lately and this will go well in them.

It would work perfectly in burritos – yum!

Perfect! Yeah, tinned refried beans kinda smell like dog food. This is So much better!

True… And look like it too!