Here’s another Hummingbird inspired idea – jazzing up vanilla topped chocolate cakes with biscuit crumbs makes a delectable ‘cookies and cream’ cupcake. The crunch in the vanilla cream topping adds a new dimension and sophistication to an everyday combination. Add chocolate biscuit crumbs to the cake batter if you like a lot of crunch, or just to the frosting if you want a more subtle effect. Make sure to keep some of the crumbs back for decoration though.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 350g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 300ml oat milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 3-4 chocolate biscuits, crushed
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5
– Mix together the oat milk, lemon juice, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
– In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the sugar.
– Add the bicarb to the wet ingredients and stir.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to thoroughly combine.
– If using, stir in the biscuit crumbs
– 2/3 rds fill the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
– Cool on a wire rack.
Cookies and Cream Frosting (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/4 cup vegetable fat, such as Trex
- 3/4 cup dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 2-3 chocolate biscuits, finely crushed (I used Tesco Bourbons)
– Whisk together the fat and spread until fluffy and well-combined.
– Add the icing sugar in 1/2 cup measures along with a splash of oat milk each time.
– Once it’s all combined, stir in the biscuit crumbs
– Spread on the cupcakes and sprinkle with extra biscuit crumbs