I’ve been thinking about roasted carrots a lot recently – so sweet and lovely when roasted, taking on an entirely different quality to when raw or boiled/steamed carrot.
Doing some research online I came across a roasted carrot salad by Jamie Oliver that serves as the inspiration for this dish. I can’t deny it’s an unusual salad but it certainly works, and I enjoy trying more challenging combinations. I made the carrots sweet and very spicy which paired nicely with the avocado and coriander yogurt. The seeds are a must, to add crunch, and the bitterness of the alfalfa is a nice contrast to the sweet carrots and creamy avocado. All in all pretty different!
Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2-3 carrots, washed and cut into batons
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 handfuls salad leaves
- Sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsps dairy-free yogurt mixed with 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
– Parboil the carrots for 2 minutes
– Drizzle the carrots with the honey, cumin, chilli and a trickle of oil. Roast for about 30 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
– Meanwhile combine the yogurt with the cumin and some chopped coriander – set aside.
– In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, dijon mustard, oil and seasoning. Set aside.
– Arrange a large handful of salad leaves on each plate and drizzle with dressing.
– Scatter the carrots and avocado on top, again drizzling with dressing.
– Sprinkle the alfalfa and seeds over the top and finish with a dollop of coriander yogurt and a few coriander leaves placed on top.
That looks so yummy!
♡ rika, vegan miam
★ i travel + i eat vegan blog ★
Thank you! 🙂
This salad is RIGHT up my alley Lucy! Perfect!
Avocado and seeds always make a salad!
MMmmmm this looks SO GOOD! We love a good salad! 🙂
Salad’s are hard to beat!
Thank you x
I’m starting to think that roasted veggies in salads are the way forward! 🙂
That’s looking so Yummmyyyy… I love salads and this looks fantastic it could a great side dish recipe too.. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
A beautiful colourful salad, Lucy! Yummm!
Pretty but slightly unusual – it did taste good too!