Spring has arrived and the sun was shining – what better excuse to make some salads? You might have notice that I’m rather obsessed with salads – they’ll certainly be many more coming along if the sun keeps shining (it’s actually raining today, so you might get soup next!)
Beans are such a great protein boost for veggies that they make the ideal basis of a substantial salad. Since beans make me think of Mexican cuisine – here is my Mexican take on a classic marinated bean salad featuring lime, cumin, avocado and coriander. The sugary sweetness is key also. Add more chilli if you like it fiery.
Mexican Bean Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tins of beans, drained and rinsed (I used borlotti and kidney)
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Large handful coriander leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
– Mix together the sugar, vinegar, lime juice and zest, olive oil, cumin and salt and pepper.
– Add the beans, onion and chilli to the marinade. Let sit in the fridge for as long as possible for the flavours to meld.
– Add the tomatoes, coriander and avocado