We’ve been swamped with leeks in our weekly veg box. I would have just made a bowl of my frankly awesome vichyssoise, but in writing a food blog your mind is always needing to come up with new foodie ideas, so here instead is another bowl of green deliciousness. The lemon zest may sound slightly unusual, but it packs a mighty punch and adds real interest to the soup.
Leek, Courgette and Parsley Soup (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 3 leeks, washed and chopped
- 2 courgettes, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- lemon zest, of 1/2 a lemon
- Large handful of parsley
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
– Sauté the leeks and courgettes in olive oil until starting to turn golden
– Add a clove of garlic and continue to cook until fragrant
– Pour in the stock
– Add the lemon zest and simmer for 15-20 minutes ( add the parsley after 10 minutes) until all the vegetables are cooked through.
– Blitz in a liquidizer
– Taste and adjust the seasoning, perhaps adding a splash of lemon juice for a bit of zing
– Serve garnished with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some parsley.