It may be the height of the English asparagus season, but it’s also the pinnacle of the Jersey Royal season. In case you’ve not come across Jersey Royals, grown only on the island of Jersey (the name is a bit of a giveaway!). They are viewed as the emperor of new potatoes in the UK. They have an unmistakably sweet and summery flavour, papery skins which you can just rubbed away and a short season in the late spring/early summer.
This salad combination of roasted balsamic asparagus with sweet jersey royals is a perfect meeting of two vegetables in peak season at the same time.
Roasted Asparagus and New Potato Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 bag new potatoes, preferably Jersey Royals
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
– Roast the asparagus, drizzled with oil and vinegar for 15 minutes, follow directions here
– Boil or steam the new potatoes until tender (15-20 minutes)
– Whisk together the oil and vinegar, and season generously
– Pour over the hot potatoes
– Slice each asparagus spear into 3 or 4 pieces
– Add to the potatoes, sprinkle with chives
– Toss well, taste and adjust the seasoning
– Serve at room temperature
Thank you 🙂
I love the simplicity of this dish! Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies, especially during the spring/summer.
It’s so lovely in season but a bit blurgh at any other time!
This looks great! Simple yet delicious- a perfect side dish for a backyard barbecue (which is another season that’s starting to ramp-up, too… ;))
Oh I wish it was BBQ weather here – not yet anyway! 🙂
As a jersey girl, seeing this recipe has made my morning! Love your website x
Aww, thank you 🙂 you can’t beat jersey royals x
Reblogged this on SneezyT and commented:
I can’t wait to try this out for Sneezy T. Yum!
Thanks for the re blog 🙂
The best potatoes I have ever eaten were from my Grandfather’s vegetable garden in Scotland…they were so sweet and tender…topped with butter I thought I was in heaven. I have never tasted anything like them since. 🙂
Mmm, they sound divine. Home-grown freshly picked potatoes are out of this world!