Orange Creams

Homemade chocolates are such a treat – especially if your bought options are limited. I think the combination of chocolate and orange is a good one – so here’s a variation of my peppermint creams, turned fragrant and fruity with orange essence. Just like the mint version, these are an ideal cooking project with children and make a wonderful gift or after-dinner treat.

Orange Creams (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes about 24

• 2 1/2 tbsps dairy-free spread, melted
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
  • 1-2 tsps orange extract
  • 150g dairy-free dark chocolate

– Place the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl.

– Add the melted spread, orange extract and water and mix to form a soft (but not sticky) dough. If it’s too wet add more icing sugar, if too dry, add more water.

– Knead lightly on a surface dusted with icing sugar.

– Roll out to 1/2 – 1/4 cm thickness and cut out disc shapes with a cookie cutter.

– Place on a lined baking sheet and leave overnight in a cool dry place to dry out. Make sure you turn them over so they dry on both sides.

– Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a bain marie.

– Dip the dried orange patties in the melted chocolate, making sure they are well coated.

– Place back on the lined baking sheet and leave to set in the fridge.

– Keep refrigerated.

20130525-080058.jpg20130525-080143.jpg

1. these are so cute, perfect for a homemade gift!

If they last that long πŸ˜‰

2. These look really great! I’ve done peppermint patties like this, but had a lot of trouble with the insides melting when I choc-dipped them….it was a mess! Still tasty though!

I found that it helps to air dry them for as long as possible and also make sure the melted chocolate is as cool as possible. At least if it turns messy, it’s tasty and fun mess! πŸ™‚

3. Yum I love orange creams

Me too! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Seriously drool worthy, chocolate and orange in my house may only come at a close second to chocolate and mint.

I agree! I’m thinking of making strawberry creams next time πŸ˜‰

5. Oh yum! And so beautiful to boot! Happy Friday!

6. livliveslife says:

Yum! I love how simple the ingredient list is! These are yet another creation of yours that I’m putting on my “to make” list!

Let me know how you like them if you make them… They didn’t last long round here!

Waw, Lucy! georgous bites! I love those heart shaped treats a lot! Yummo! I can eat them!

It’s always hard to resist a chocolate πŸ˜‰

So true! πŸ˜‰ x

8. Decadent! Thanks for the post!

9. crystal says:

Can I just ask what you mean by dairy-free spread? I’m in the UK and haven’t heard of this but really want to make these delicious sounding drops of heaven!

I’m in the UK too! By dairy-free spread I’m referring to ‘Pure’ or other dairy-free margarine such as vitalite. I tend not to say margarine as most contains milk solids! Hope that helps πŸ™‚

10. Susan H. says:

How fun! πŸ™‚

11. Diana says:

I was thinking about making these for my family, but we have no need for dairy-free. Can I use regular butter? Would it air dry ok?

I haven’t tried to make them with butter, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Let me know how they turn out πŸ™‚