Homemade chocolates are such a treat – especially if your bought options are limited. I think the combination of chocolate and orange is a good one – so here’s a variation of my peppermint creams, turned fragrant and fruity with orange essence. Just like the mint version, these are an ideal cooking project with children and make a wonderful gift or after-dinner treat.
Orange Creams (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 24
- 2 1/2 tbsps dairy-free spread, melted
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tsps orange extract
- 150g dairy-free dark chocolate
– Place the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl.
– Add the melted spread, orange extract and water and mix to form a soft (but not sticky) dough. If it’s too wet add more icing sugar, if too dry, add more water.
– Knead lightly on a surface dusted with icing sugar.
– Roll out to 1/2 – 1/4 cm thickness and cut out disc shapes with a cookie cutter.
– Place on a lined baking sheet and leave overnight in a cool dry place to dry out. Make sure you turn them over so they dry on both sides.
– Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a bain marie.
– Dip the dried orange patties in the melted chocolate, making sure they are well coated.
– Place back on the lined baking sheet and leave to set in the fridge.
– Keep refrigerated.