Today is Father’s Day in the UK – providing the perfect excuse for making some cakes… not that I really ever need an excuse!
I’ve been eyeing up these cute little loaf cases in Waitrose for a while – perfect size to make tempting little loaf cakes. Somehow summer isn’t the time for buttercream – instead it makes me think of fresh and sherbety drizzle cakes. And what could be more summery than a tropical combination of passionfruit and lime? These little loaves will certainly get your tastebuds dancing with delight.
Passionfruit and Lime Drizzle Cakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 6 mini-loaves, or 12 cupcakes
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 lime
- 80-100g sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150ml oat milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4
– Line a cupcake tray with pretty wrappers
– Combine the oat milk, 1 tsp lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.
– Sift together the flour and baking powder.
– Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
– Then add the oil and extra lemon juice to the oat milk, and pour into the flour.
– Gently mix until fully combined and no raw flour remains.
– 1/2 fill the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden and a knife comes out clean.
– Whilst still warm, make little holes in the top with a skewer/knife and drizzle with the hot syrup, recipe below.
Lime and Passionfruit Syrup
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 passionfruit, sieved.
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
– Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer gently until the syrup has thickened. I added a spoon-full of the seeds back in after sieving.