This rather lovely-looking salad was inspired by a delicious take-away lunch I had from ‘The Potato Merchant‘ in Exmouth Market, handily just around the corner from work. I love that white/pink with deep green, and the crunch gives such a great addition to any plate. Eat on the day it’s made to be sure of getting maximum crunch, and don’t cook the beans for too long for the same reason.
Radish and Green Bean Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar, preferably white
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- 200g radish, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Small handful parsley, finely chopped
– Blanch the beans for 3 minutes and then drain and plunge into very cold water to preserve the colour
– Marinade the shallots in the vinegar for about 10 minutes to soften slightly and remove some of the raw onion flavour
– Whisk in the salt and oil
– Toss in the drained and dried beans and radish
– Sprinkle on the parsley
– Lightly toss
– Taste and adjust the seasoning.