Early summer in England is all about the strawberries and what goes better with strawberries than scones? Here’s a simple variation on a scone recipe. Adding strawberries gives the scones a real summery vibe, and makes me think of sitting on immaculate English lawns. They’re a big craggy and rustic – as scones should be, in my opinion – but packed full of flavour! Anyone for tennis?
Serve with whipped dairy-free cream and strawberry jam for the fully authentic experience.
Strawberry Scones (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 450g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 75g dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 70g caster brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300ml oat milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries, plus slices for the top
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 6
– Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
– Stir in the sugar.
– With your fingertips, gently rub in the dairy-free spread until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
– Make a well in the centre and pour in the oat milk and vanilla essence.
– Bring together to a soft, sticky dough.
– Carefully add the strawberries, trying not to crush them too much.
– Turn onto a floured surface and very gently bring together to a soft, smooth dough.
– Pat out with your fingers until 3 cm thick.
– Cut out with a 6cm cookie cutter (or whatever size you choose)
– Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet.
– Place one strawberry slice on the top of each scone
– Brush the tops with oat milk and sprinkle with sugar.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.
– Cool on a wire rack.
They do look perfect for a picnic in a lovely English park! Or even a 4th of July party tomorrow. 😉
I only just noticed the red, white and blue theme! Hope you had a lovely 4th July x
They look so pretty on that blue napkin. Very perfect for summer!
You don’t get more summery that strawberries! 🙂
I made tour tasty strawberry scones today & added some cinnamon to the dough! They are just divine, my dear friend! I am eating hile enjoying 1 or 2 while seeing Wimbledon on the BBC! X
Ooh I like the idea of adding cinnamon. So pleased you enjoyed them 🙂 xx