Tarts or quiches are such a useful summer dish – perfect for a light lunch, a centre piece to be served with an array of salads or on a picnic. Most recipes, however, use eggs and/or cream and so don’t work for us.
This recipe is fast – no pastry to make, just sliced bread rolled thin and cut to fit a cupcake tray. The ingredients for the filling are bound together with egg-free mayo and dairy-free cheese. It’s a snap to make but still looks impressive and is very tasty. Those eating bland quiche may well be rather envious! Obviously can be adapted for any veg really.
Spring Vegetable Tartlets (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) N.B. contains soya in the mayonnaise
- 4 slices of bread
- 2tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 10 asparagus spears, cut into 1cm lengths
- 6 tbsps egg-free mayo
- 8 mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup dairy-free cheese, i used Veganic
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade/gas mark 6
– Roll out the bread and use a pastry cutter to cut circles to fill the cupcake tray
– Blanch the peas and asparagus for 4 minutes and then refresh in icy water
– Drain and dry the veg and then combine with the mayo, mint and cheese. Taste and season.
– Brush the cupcake holes with oil and press in the bread circles
– Pile in the filling
– Bake for 15-20 minutes
– Eat warm or at room temperature