So the strawberry recipes keep coming. Chocolate and strawberry is a tried and tested combination as everyone knows, and I had a feeling that chocolate biscuits studded with strawberries would look rather pretty. These are classic chocolate thumbprints with the addition of a half strawberry on top, rather than the usual dollop of jam. Cooking the strawberry gives the jammy effect I was after. However be warned, since the fruit is fresh, these cookies don’t last too long. Better eat them up fast.
Strawberry Thumbprints (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5 tbsps oat milk
- 5 tbsps sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- Strawberries, sliced
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4
– Line a baking sheet with parchment
– In a bowl whisk together the oat milk, oil and sugar.
– Sift in the flour, cocoa, salt and bicarbonate.
– Mix to form a soft dough
– Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet, flattening slightly
– Press a thumbprint indentation into the top of each cookie
– Bake for 5 minutes
– Remove from the oven and press a strawberry slice onto the top of each
– Return to the oven and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes
– Cool on a wire rack