We spent the other weekend camping. As a rule I’m not exactly the keenest camper. I find it not very relaxing, well, quite a trial if the weather is at all bad and we just don’t have all the necessary kit, everything is usually damp etc. This time however was a joy, a shady site in a beautiful location on a cliff top on the Dorset coast, all with wonderful warmth and sunshine. Very much a fair weather camper, me. Food requires planning and is always a challenge on a single ring gas burner! We managed with barbecuing and fairly simple pasta type food, but it got me thinking of good camping friendly foods. Couscous has to be perfect easy food – a doddle to make and freeing up limited burner space. Couscous makes me also think of Harissa, so here’s a fab recipe for Harissa spiked couscous served with roasted vegetables (or pan fried if you’re camping!) The Harissa packs a real spicy, aniseed punch, and obviously comes in a nice small camping-friendly jar. Instant flavour, and I think outdoors you want those strong flavours and spices. If you are not avoiding dairy, grilled or fried halloumi cheese can go very well with this.
Roasted Vegetable and Harissa Couscous (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps Harissa paste
- 16 small shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3-4 small courgettes, cut into small chunks
- 1-2 peppers, cut into the same size as the other veg
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- dried herbs of choice, I used herbes de provence
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
– Toss the vegetables (except the tomatoes) in 1 tbsp olive oil, the herbs and smoked paprika. Season.
– Roast in a hot oven for half an hour
– Add the tomatoes and roast for another 10-15 minutes
– After adding the tomatoes pour the couscous into a shallow bowl
– Pour the water, oil, vinegar, salt and Harissa into a saucepan and bring to the boil
– Pour over the couscous, cover with cling film and leave to sit for 5-10 minutes.
– Remove the cling film and fluff up with a fork
– Pile the couscous onto a plate and top with the roasted vegetables.
– Serve whilst hot or at room temperature.
We are the same type of camper. 🙂 I’m glad you got a good weekend for it, though!
It’s fab in the good weather – not so in the rain (and you know how much it rains in theUK!) x