The current hot weather has kept my thoughts on spicy, exotic flavours – a tropical holiday at home, if you like!
We enjoyed my jerk aubergine skewers so much that I was pretty keen on using the fragrant spice of jerk seasoning again elsewhere. Sweet potatoes are staples in Caribbean cuisine and soak up the jerk seasoning beautifully. Extra lime, chilli, spring onions and these spicy, sweet burgers make great little patties. Serve with any favoured additions, pickles or relishes. Maybe a rum punch or a Red Stripe too.
Jamaican Jerk Spiced Sweet Potato Burgers (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tin beans, I used borlotti
- 1 1/2 slices of bread, blitzed into fresh crumbs
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 tsps jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 fresh chillies (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
– Sprinkle the sweet potato chunks with the 1 tsp jerk seasoning, drizzle with oil and roast for 30-45 minutes in a medium hot oven until cooked through. Cool.
– In a food processor (or using a potato masher) combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning.
– Form into 4 even sized patties and put in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up.
– Fry on each side to a golden colour, then transfer to a medium oven to heat through
– Serve in buns with additions of choice.