The celeriac in the shops are looking great at the moment, in their wonderfully gnarly glory. I do like celeriac, but it is a ‘grown up’ flavour, which I’m sure I would have hated as a child. So this soup is an attempt to make the knobbly old celeriac more child-friendly – whizzed up into a smooth soup and sweetened with apple. To my surprise my girls actually liked it! Definitely a winner of a winter’s lunch.
Celeriac and Apple Soup (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 large or one small celeriac, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh if possible but dried is fine
- 700ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
– Sweat the onion and celery in 1 tbsp oil until soften but not browned.
– Add the celeriac and apple, thyme and about 1/2 tsp salt..
– Pour over the hot stock and bring to a simmer.
– Simmer for 156-20 minutes, until the celeriac is thoroughly cooked through.
– Blitz in a blender or with an immersion blender until totally smooth. Taste and season. Serve scattered with herbs (chives are nice), black pepper and a drizzle of good quality olive oil.
This post could not be more timely! I just got an email from our CSA that we are getting celeriac in our weekly basket. I had never even heard of it before but now I know what to do with it! The soup looks great! Any other suggestions for how to use celeriac? What does it taste like ?
It’s a kind of mild celery flavour, with no stringy bits! Remoulade (a mustardy celeriac slaw – recipe on my blog) is a good recipe too 🙂
This sounds so soothing – looks divine! Yum!
Luminous Vegans, I love making celeriac mash, plus there’s a great celeriac salad from France called remoulade. You can roast it too like potato.
Lucy, I love apple in soups! I’m glad your little ones liked it. Now send us some winter weather, please! 😉
Sadly we’ve mainly got dreary grey rain and storms…. You’d be welcome to some! (I’d rather send crisp, cold and sunny!)
We desperately need rain here. The local gov’t says that we will run out of water in two years. !!! Think about that the next time you hear of a hosepipe ban in the UK! You guys don’t know what drought is… 😉 Sadly, we know it too well. It’s the sad price of building lots of cities in what’s basically desert.
Wow, that’s crazy! What are the govt going to do when it runs out? If only I could send you a few truck loads of rain, everywhere here is flooded so I’m sure we could spare some 😉
I love celeriac and this looks like a perfect combination 🙂
The sweet hint from apple really works
I have some left over celeriac and was considering making up my own soup but this looks so good I shall be saving my self a job. Thank you.
Happy to help 🙂