Herby potato salad

20140313-071203.jpg

Easter is over, so it’s definitely time to move away from the chocolate and towards fresh spring flavours. Our herbs are growing profusely and the Jersey royals are just wonderful at the moment, so my first post easter foray had to be a fresh potato salad.

I always wonder why potato salad is often so heavy on the mayonnaise. Most commercially available versions seem to consust of either over or under cooked cubes of potato smothered with piles of mayo and far too much spring onion, with no thought given to flavour combinations or pleasing textures. In my opinion those dressed lightly or with a tangy dressing are far superior. This version uses both parsley and tarragon. Go fairly easy on the tarragon unless you really love the aniseed flavour as it does pack a punch and a little goes a long way. If you’d rather stick with a milder more conventional salad, just use parsley instead.

Herby Potato Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

20140313-071223.jpg

serves 4 as a side dish

• 250g (half a pack) new potatoes, halved if quite large
  • 1 tbsp wine vinegar
  • 3 tbsp light olive oil
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 gherkins, finely chopped
  • 2 spring onions, finely sliced
  • 1 small bunch tarragon, finely shredded (about 1tbsp)
  • 1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

20140318-142647.jpg

20140318-142800.jpg

1. A wonderful way to enjoy potato salad! I admit I do like mayo in mine but I also really love a potato salad without. I really like how you used so many herbs. Sounds delicious!

I have to admit I like a mayo version too, it’s just those over-mayonnaised badly made shop versions I can’t stand! This salad really works with a bit of mayo stirred through at the end

1. I totally agree about the shop versions! 🙂

2. Laura says:

I love this – fresh herbs are so delicious, and perfect fir potato said, which is so weather appropriate!

You can’t beat potatoes in the spring!

Yum Yum Yummm,..;delightful! I would add some fried smoked bacon pieces in here! x

4. narf77 says:

Yummers! Who would miss the mayo with something that looks this promising? It might be almost winter here but I am going to have to make this. Cheers for the lovely share 🙂

My pleasure – hope you enjoy 🙂

5. Move away from chocolate, surly you gest. But moving toward fresh herbs I a great idea. Just planted my non GMO organic seeds yesterday. And hope to plant my own potatoes too.

Mmm, you can’t beat homegrown spuds – yummy!

6. Kara says:

How did you cook the potatoes?! I see the ingredients but what is the actual recipe?!

good point – that’s very unusual for me. On this occasion i boiled the new potatoes for 15-20 mins until temder – steaming would be a good option too