Smoky potato tian

IMG_7821I have had the idea of making a tian on my mind for a while. Tian is a baked, closely packed vegetable dish; think a Provencal style gratin with no added cream. I had been thinking of Mediterranean vegetables but they’re not quite in season, so I veered towards the large pile of potatoes in the larder. This dish manages to transform a few humble spuds and an onion into a dish of beauty (that also tastes great!)

Finely sliced potatoes are closely packed on top of some onions sweated with thyme, and then the potatoes are brushed with a smoky sweet paprika oil, before baking until the tops are crispy. Looks appealing don’t you think? Make sure the slices are snugly fitted into an attractive baking dish for full wow factor.

Smoky Potato Tian (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

IMG_7820Serves 4

• 1 onion, finely sliced
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2-4 waxy potatoes per person
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp sherry vinegar
  • Salt and pepper

– Gently sweat the onions in a little oil with the thyme and salt until soft and slippery, but not coloured
– Spread the onions on the bottom of a pretty oven proof baking dish
– Slice the potatoes as finely as possible and pack closely, sliced side upwards into the baking dish
– Whisk together the oil, vinegar, smoked paprika and seasoning
– Brush the oil mixture over the potatoes
– Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for about 1 hour until the edges are crispy and the potatoes cooked through.
– Serve in the baking dish for maximum impact!

1. Melissa says:

Definitely making this. I just love smoked paprika, especially with potatoes.

It’s a great combo isn’t it 🙂

2. alifemoment says:

Wow that looks incredible! Love the shape!

And so easy to make too – winner! 🙂

3. Mr Fitz says:

Brilliant dish! Thanks! Brilliant!!

4. on my shopping list to try, thanks

Let me know how it goes 🙂

5. Chris Edmondson says:

Just made this for Friday supper. So much easier than I thought and looked so beautiful. Made it in a cast iron pot so went stove oven to table, served with a salad with Cos, cucumber, celery, grated beetroot, carrot & toasted walnuts. Very well received by the rest of the household and lovely with a nice bottle of red. I did have a very large, very sharp knife, which I think is the most important thing for making this easily. Thank you!

I’m so pleased you enjoyed it. The salad sounds seriously lovely too 🙂