Banana Flapjacks

I haven’t made flapjacks for ages. But now we’re in our new house and I’m on a mission to fill the larder/freezer with healthy, tempting home cooked goodies, and flapjacks have to be one of the best bars to have hanging around for when an energy boost is needed in a hurry.

This flapjack variation packs a surprisingly ‘big’Β banana flavour and the toffee-like brown sugar combines with it for a wonderful banoffee like finish. I had thought that by sneaking in one banana my girls wouldn’t notice, but the flavour shone through so much they immediately said ‘are they banana?’ No bad thing in my book!

Banana Flapjacks (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, maybe gluten-free [depending on oats used], vegetarian and vegan)

IMG_7840makes about 24

• 200g dairy free spread
  • 200g soft brown sugar
  • 200g golden syrup
  • 400g oats
  • 1/2 tsp salt (preferably fleur de sel)
  • 1 banana, mashed

– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade

– Line a 30Γ—20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil

– Melt together the dairy free spread, sugar, syrup and salt

– When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats and add the mashed banana

– Spread into the lined baking tray

– Bake for 15-20 mins until golden

– Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.

20140518-164307-60187310.jpg

1. thehungrymum says:

perfect for the lunchbox! Love it.

2. Aislin says:

sounds amazing!! Tell me.. syrup? Golden syrup? can I use another ingredient? At Portugal sometimes is dificult to find certain ingredients. Thanks! πŸ™‚

It’s like a liquid sugary sticky syrup – like honey. Use honey, maple syrup, corn syrup or agave nectar πŸ˜€

1. Aislin says:

thank you! I did some research online and other people had problems to find it too but is not impossible πŸ˜›
        I’ll try this week, but if I don’t find it I will do it with agave πŸ™‚

Thank you!! *

It’s a pleasure πŸ˜€

Yum Yum Yummy looking bars! 😊

4. Anne Mc T says:

Hi these look good! Could I substitute the banana with something else please? (Have intolerance to bananas. ) thank you.

Here’s the basic recipe that the banana ones are based on – gosh the photo is bad! It was one of my first posts! I promise they taste amazing though, especially with desiccated coconut in https://lucysfriendlyfoods.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/super-duper-amazingly-gooey-flapjacks/

1. Anne Mc T says:

Thanks Lucy, sound good. Going to make today. This dairy free diet is just new to me and I love flapjacks. You site is a great help! πŸ™‚

Brilliant! Pleased I can help! Hope you like the flapjacks, we think they’re seriously yummy πŸ™‚

5. Anne Mc T says:

The flapjacks were so lovely, everyone lived them. Making more today going to add some cashew nuts. Thank you πŸ™‚