Happy 4th July! I may not be American but any chance of a celebration has to be a good thing! What could be more American than a pile of light, fluffy pancakes drenched in maple syrup and adorned with some red and blue berries? I guarantee you won’t miss the milk and eggs in these, they are as light as you like thanks to raising agents which are made even more potent by the addition of dairy-free yogurt. The yogurt also gives it an authentic buttermilk note. Serve for a weekend breakfast, a good hearty start to the day.
American Style Fluffy Pancakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder (and yes I do mean 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp dairy-free spread, melted
- 2/3rds cup dairy-free milk (I use Oatly)
- 1/3 cup dairy-free yogurt
– Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
– Whisk in the wee ingredients to make a thick batter.
– Heat a frying pan and smear with a little oil.
– Fry a ladleful at a time on one side until puffed up and golden (bubbles will start to appear on the uncooked top, then it’s time to flip)
– Flip the pancake and cook the other side until golden.
– Keep warm until the others and made, then serve drizzled with maple syrup and garnished with berries.
– They also reheat really well either in a warm oven or after 30 seconds or so in the microwave