I don’t know where it came from, but I suddenly had a brainwave. I was going to make scones to add to our picnic whilst watching a wonderful outdoor production by the Illyria theatre group, but was having some trouble deciding how to transport the jam. Then it came to me, a little flash of inspiration – why not have the jam already swirled into the scone? Why don’t people do this? It makes so much sense – scone and jam in one neat and rather pretty little parcel – I’m telling you this is the way to go!
Raspberry and Lemon Swirl Scones (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 450g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 75g dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 70g caster sugar
- 300ml oat milk (I use Oatly)
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2-4 tbsps raspberry jam
- 2 tbsps Demerara sugar, to sprinkle
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 6
– Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
– Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
– With your fingertips, gently rub in the dairy-free spread until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
– Make a well in the centre and pour in the oat milk.
– Bring together to a soft, sticky dough.
– Turn onto a floured surface and very gently bring together to a soft, smooth dough.
– Pat out with your fingers until 2 cm thick.
– Spread the jam all over the surface and roll up into a thick sausage.
– Cut 3cm/1 inch slices
– Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet.
– Brush the tops with oat milk and sprinkle with sugar.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.
– Cool on a wire rack.