Fritters are such a useful recipe, an easy, tasty and filling meal that can be whipped up in seconds. You may have come across my egg and dairy-free sweetcorn fritter recipe, indeed it is still the recipe or post of mine that attracts the most interest worldwide.
But since my girls eat rather a lot of sweetcorn anyway (they seem to love those sweet little yellow kernels) I thought how about a change? We also seem to consume shed loads of broccoli, and since there was already some sitting in the fridge, it’s what I went with. I didn’t add chilli as my girls only like minimal spice, but if you’re a heat fan, a good dose of finely chopped red chilli would be a wonderful addition.
The key to these little tasty green beauties is to pack them full to overflowing with broccoli – definitely more broccoli than fritter, so you get that wonderful colour and goodness.
Broccoli Fritters (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes about 8-10
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cooked to taste and fairly finely chopped (about 1 cup once chopped)
- 80g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 105ml water (7 tbsps)
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
– Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl, stir in the water to make a smooth but thick paste
– Stir in the chopped broccoli and chilli (if using)
– Fry spoonfuls in hot sunflower oil, until golden on both sides.
– Serve whilst piping hot!