Doughnut muffins

20140726-081712-29832550.jpg

Doughnuts (or donuts) – probably the ultimate non-healthy comfort food. Not many people can resist the allure of a fresh sugar and cinnamon sprinkled donut. How about a healthier, simpler baked muffin version? Just as irresistible but not quite so naughty? Now, that is a good idea!

Donut muffins may not be a new concept to you, but they are to me! These easy to make little beauties are light and fluffy but all the sugary sweet spice of a good donut. I can think of many scenarios where these would be just right – breakfast, lunch, tea, snack or supper. I reckon these will become a bit of a regular staple in this household.

20140726-081710-29830264.jpg

Donut Muffins (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

20140726-081714-29834593.jpgMakes 18

• 1 – 2 tsp cinnamon, depending on taste
  • 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1/4 cup cornflour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 3/4 cup dairy-free yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsps vanilla essence
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup dairy-free milk, I use Oatly oat milk

– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Fill a cupcake tray with liners
– In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp caster sugar
– Sift together the flour, cornflour, baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon
– Mix together the yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice and oat milk. Set aside.
– Cream together the dairy free spread and caster sugar until light and fluffy
– Alternately add some of the dry and wet ingredients until they’re all used up and you have a nice smooth, silky batter
– Fill the muffins liners, 2/3rds full
– Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mix over the top of the muffins
– Bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins have risen nicely and are cooked through (a knife/skewer comes out clean)
– Cool on a wire rack.

20140726-081708-29828062.jpg

1. theveganmuffinwoman says:

I definitely couldn’t resist these!

2. Yanic A. says:

this looks SO good!!!!

3. mydearbakes says:

Gosh! Your bake looks soo delicious ! =D

4. Ohh soo yumm!! These look good. Thanks for your recipes Lucy.

5. Don’t scream but I’m going to try to make these…gluten-free too! I have someone in my writing group who is gluten-free. It’s a cheat but I’m going to use a gluten-free sugar cookie mix too. Gluten-free flour can be so sticky…Anyway, will let you know how it comes out. They look so good!

did you give them a go? I’d love to hear how they turned out gluten-free….

1. Dry…But I didn’t follow your recipe so it was my fault! I will try again soon.

6. borabesac says:

Hi Lucy! We are new to your site…. and have just made these muffins. My son (who has severe dairy, egg and nut allergies) thought that they should have jam in – to be more like a real doughnut! I said he could put it in three of them just in case it didn’t work……..shouldn’t have worried – they were DELICIOUS!!! Thank you so much for all the super ideas!

Fantastic, your son had a brilliant idea 🙂 I’m so pleased you like the recipes 🙂