Doughnuts (or donuts) – probably the ultimate non-healthy comfort food. Not many people can resist the allure of a fresh sugar and cinnamon sprinkled donut. How about a healthier, simpler baked muffin version? Just as irresistible but not quite so naughty? Now, that is a good idea!
Donut muffins may not be a new concept to you, but they are to me! These easy to make little beauties are light and fluffy but all the sugary sweet spice of a good donut. I can think of many scenarios where these would be just right – breakfast, lunch, tea, snack or supper. I reckon these will become a bit of a regular staple in this household.
Donut Muffins (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 – 2 tsp cinnamon, depending on taste
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup dairy-free yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk, I use Oatly oat milk
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Fill a cupcake tray with liners
– In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp caster sugar
– Sift together the flour, cornflour, baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon
– Mix together the yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice and oat milk. Set aside.
– Cream together the dairy free spread and caster sugar until light and fluffy
– Alternately add some of the dry and wet ingredients until they’re all used up and you have a nice smooth, silky batter
– Fill the muffins liners, 2/3rds full
– Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mix over the top of the muffins
– Bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins have risen nicely and are cooked through (a knife/skewer comes out clean)
– Cool on a wire rack.