Provençal potato gratin

20140809-073122.jpg

Having recently returned from a lovely holiday in the South of France, I’m brimming with summery French ideas – be prepared for a little trip to sunny Mediterranean climes in the next few weeks!

Here’s a lovely summery take on that winter classic, the potato gratin – by omitting the cream and including fresher, lighter flavours you can enjoy the comfort of a potato bake all year round, and one that can cater for all dietary requirements too as it’s lost the dairy content. For me the thyme, olives and tomatoes really are the flavours of Provence. Will make this one more often.

Provencal Potato Gratin (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

20140809-073024.jpg

Serves 4

• 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4-8 tomatoes sliced
  • Handful of olives (optional)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and fairly finely sliced
  • Olive oil
  • Sprig of rosemary
  • Salt and pepper

– Sweat the onions, thyme and pinch of salt in the 1 tbsp olive oil until soft and slippery, but not coloured
– Spread over the bottom of an attractive baking dish (this gratin is best served at the table for maximum impact.
– Layer over the tomatoes, olives and garlic
– Top with a neat layer of potato slices, arranged like tiles on the roof of a house
– Season and garnish with the rosemary sprig
– Drizzle over the olive oil
– Bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4 until the top is golden and a knife easily slips through the potato.
– Serve with a fresh green salad and lots of crusty bread to soak up the juices.

20140809-072920.jpg

1. Lissa says:

What a beautiful photo 🙂 yum

2. Lissa says:

What a beautiful photo 🙂 yum

3. Your dish looks and sounds lovely. I too have just (reluctantly) returned from Provence. It’s difficult not to be inspired by the region – such culinary riches and such a great and enduring love affair with good food.

I can’t get enough of Provence – so beautiful 🙂

4. Absolutely beautiful – your photography is exquisite! I’m absolutely going to have to give this glorious recipe a go – I’ll keep you posted on my results! If you have a minute, I think you’d like my tian provençal & I’d love your thoughts 🙂 http://goodfoodmarsh.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/tian-provencal/

Ooh that looks seriously good 🙂

5. vegantarian lifestyle says:

This looks so good. I need to give it a try!
    best, Lou

I hope you do! Let me know how you find it 🙂

I love your simple tasty version a lot! Often, I add sliced green or yellow courgette slices to the whole thing,…looks very delicious too! 😊

Now that is a good idea Sophie 🙂