Well that’s January over with. I’ve been feeling it bad this year – real January blues! No holidays lined up in the diary, workload has ramped up etc etc… it’s definitely time for a bit of a comforting cheer up hug. These cupcakes are a big spicy steaming cup of hot chocolate in cupcake form. Enough to make you smile on even the most dark and frosty day. It turns out the ancient Mayans were geniuses with their flavour combinations – whilst the world veers towards the soft combination of chocolate and vanilla, this spicy Central American version of cocoa, cinnamon and (if you dare) a pinch of chilli powder packs a punch and works wonders. I left the chilli out of the children’s ones but nonetheless they gave the desired effect of a cosy warm friendly treat after a long day at school.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) Makes 12
- 200g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150ml oat milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5 – Place liners in a cupcake tray – Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar. – In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, bicarb, lemon and oil. – Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix, until well combines. – 2/3rds fill the liners and bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly golden and a knife comes out clean. – Cool on a wire rack. Fluffy Mexican Chocolate Buttercream (dairy-free, egg-free, soya-free, sesame-free, nut-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan) Enough to spread on 12 cupcakes, double the mix to pipe luscious mounds of buttercream!
- 1/3 cup dairy-free spread
- 2 tbsps vegetable fat
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Up to 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of chilli powder (if you dare!)
– Whisk together the fats.
– Add the cocoa and cinnamon (and chilli if using) and whisk well.
– Whisk in the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, adding a splash of oat milk each time.
Really nice and easy cupcakes 😊😊😊
Oh I think even I could manage to make these, they look really nice.
I made these beauties yesterday & they were superb! really yummy too & I made the apart frosting too! It was fun to make! x