Fancy stepping outside of the norm this pancake day? Well here’s a Scandi-inspired delightfully savoury pancake recipe perfect for a different take on shrove Tuesday. By adding mashed potato to a pancake mix you get a more filling and naturally savoury and satisfying dish. I topped mine with tofutti soured cream alternative and homemade chilli jam to great effect. Roasted tomatoes and mushrooms are also wonderful, or opt for any slightly tart jam for a traditional feel.
Scandinavian Style Potato Pancakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 15
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1 cup mashed potato, leftovers are ideal!
– Whisk together the dairy-free milk, oil, flour, salt and baking powder
– Whisk in the mashed potato, making sure there are no lumps. Set aside for at least half an hour.
– Fry spoonfuls in a hot oiled frying pan until lightly golden on each side
– Keep warm in the oven until they’re all done. Serve.