Coronation chicken is such a ubiquitous buffet dish and sandwich filling in the UK, and its something I had yet to replicate as a vegetarian. So here’s a recipe for a fully meat free version, inspired by one I saw a while back on a lovely blog I follow called ‘more than greens‘. I never tried out her recipe but the idea for chickpeas replacing the chicken stayed in my head. So last weekend for lunch with had homemade bread, salads and coronation chickpeas, and very nice it was too. There’s noting like a mild, creamy curried addition to add a bit of excitement and spice to such a basic meal.
Coronation Chickpeas (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1/2 cup mayo, I used Plamil egg-free
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 apple, peel left on, cored and cut into cubes
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- Parsley to garnish
– Mix together all the mayo, mango chutney, curry powder and lemon juice
– Stir in the chickpeas, apple, spring onions, sultanas and parsley.
– If possible, let sit for about half an hour before serving for the flavours to combine.