The sun is shining and it’s starting to feel a little warmer – yippee! After the long dark, cold months there suddenly light and colour, oh what joy! I was intending on cooking another hearty vegetable soup for lunch but the sun’s warming rays made me quickly shelve that idea. What we needed was some vibrancy and colour; some freshness and zing to match the weather.
So a quick rummage in the larder later and I had the ingredients I needed for this wonderfully zingy and alive rice and bean salad, which also handily continued the Mexican theme that started with pinto bean soup the other day.
The vegetables add jewels of colour and flavour and the lime makes the dish zing. Wonderful eaten on the day, this salad also keeps well for a couple of days. For me, however, its best use is as the base of a delicious taco salad (pictured below): rice and beans salad combined with fresh salsa, lettuce, avocado, dairy-free soured cream and topped with crunchy tortilla chips and coriander – divine!
Mexican Rice and Beans Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
serves at least 4
- 1 cup of rice, cooked
- 1/2 tin of beans, ideally borlotti or pinto
- 1/2 tin sweetcorn
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped into small dice
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp chipotle Tabasco sauce, or 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
– Whisk together the lime, oil and salt (and chipotle sauce, if using)
– Pour over the other ingredients and mix well