Friday after school always calls for a proper sweet treat. A ‘well done the week’s over and welcome to the weekend’ kind of treat. Doughnuts must be the ultimate naughty treat – deep-fried, sugar-coated, jam-filled bites of pure naughtiness, and so totally perfect for welcoming in the weekend! These mini Berliners are filled with blackcurrant jam whereas more traditionally it would be raspberry.
The yeast risen dough is light and fluffy with a crisp outer and I was informed that they are doughnut perfection! Who needs eggs and dairy when the results without are as good as this. Sadly, I didn’t quite achieve the white ring around the diameter of the doughnut for true Berliner style – any advice on how to achieve would be gratefully received. Warning: don’t eat too many at once, although you may find it hard to stop! Mini Berliner Style Doughnuts (dairy-free, egg-fre, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) makes about 20
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp hand-hot water
- 1/2 tbsp dried fast action yeast
- 2 tbsps melted dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Seedless raspberry jam to fill
- 1/2 cup caster sugar, to roll in
– Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, yeast and cinnamon (if using)
– Stir in the 1/3 cup caster sugar
– Pour in the water and melted spread and bring together to form a soft dough. Knead well. Cover the bowl and let rise for an hour or two
– Roll out the dough to about 1 inch thick and cut out circles and place on a floured baking sheet. Cover and leave to prove for an extra 15 minutes
– Bring 5cm/2 inches of flavourless oil up to temperature (it’s the right temperature when a piece of bread bubbles on contact)
– Deep fry 2-3 doughnuts at a time until well browned all over then drain on paper towels. Roll in the sugar whilst still warm.
– To fill the jam doughnuts: once cool, make a small hole in one side and pipe in some smooth blackcurrant jam.
You really are the best Mom. Donuts are soooo festive and delicious — and homemade? Out of control.
Ooh thank you 😊
Donuts are looking gorgeous
Thank you 😀
Waw, Lucky kids,…Ooh yes! Your special treats look really superb,…the max! 😉
Not too often though! A doughnut has to be a rare treat!!
will be trying soon!!
I love Berliner or Pfannkuchen as we say in East Germany 🙂 This looks so delicious, I want one right now! 🙂
Great recipe! My mom and I made these for a family get-together and they were loved by the vegans and omnivores alike. The dough was very easy to work with and the end product looked and tasted great. We felt like professionals. Thanks! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes 😃
Also love your illustrations 👍🏼👍🏼
Hi Lucy! It always feels odd saying that! I’m so pleased you liked my doughnuts and I’m impressed you got the white line. Thank you for all the support x
PS forgot to add that we did get the white ring around most of them. We used a deep fryer (just a pretty standard home kitchen size one) but otherwise followed the recipe to a T so I’m not sure why!