Raspberry and Lemon Flapjacks

dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free raspberry and lemon flapjacks

You simply can’t beat a flapjack for energy giving deliciousness but sometimes you want more than just sweet syrupy oats. I’m very fond of coconut flapjacks, but the girls aren’t so keen, so I’m constantly trying to develop new, exciting flavours to enhance such a simple staple.

This version uses freeze dried raspberries and lemon juice/ zest and boy, is it delicious or what! The freeze dried nuggets give a wonderful sweet berry tang and the lemon enhances and flavour and very slightly cuts through the sweetness. They may now be my all time favourite flapjack combination!

Raspberry and Lemon Flapjacks

(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, can be gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

vegan raspberry and lemon flapjacks

200g dairy free margarine (I use Pure soya or sunflower)

200g demerara sugar

200g golden syrup

400g oats (preferably not giant oats)

1/2 tsp salt

1/3rd cup freeze-dried raspberry pieces

zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1/2

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade. Line a 30×20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil
  2. Melt together the dairy free margarine, sugar, syrup, lemon juice, zest and salt. When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats, stir in the raspberry pieces
  3. Spread into the lined baking tray
  4. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden
  5. remove from the oven and press down with a spatula for an even finish
  6. Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.
  7. Try not to eat too many!!

1. Did it work? Do the girls love them? In America, flapjacks are pancakes (the flour/butter/sugar/milk/egg fried in a pan kind) and even though I know they don’t mean that everywhere, I was still surprised. Your version are so much more healthy. Our American pancakes are far too sweet. I can’t eat them in the morning for that reason.

Really? That’s crazy! What’s a flapjack called?? Yes these were a big hit- phew!! X

1. Gosh — I’ve been trying to figure out for years what we would call your flapjacks. They don’t actually exist here is my best guess…

No flapjacks 😱 that’s awful!!!!

3. I’m going to search further for a UK flapjack equivalent — although it’s somewhat refreshing in this era of everything being available everywhere to find something that you can’t get every place. I think Cornetto is the only other thing I can think of that you MUST go to England to enjoy. Oh, I miss Cornetto! I can’t do dairy but it’s worth the pain to me.

Oh yes cornetist are good – must try and recreate them one day 😄

2. pinkiebag says:

Oh I love flapjack and especially as they are easy to make. What a great combination of flavours. I am going to try this. Thank you for sharing.

3. Alison says:

I made these today and they are absolutely delicious.

I was really excited to find your blog – I bake for a daughter with severe egg and nut allergies and it is so nice to come across British blogs. I have just started a baking blog, kind of intimidated by how much there is out there already!

Fantastic! What’s the and if your blog? I’d love to follow x

1. Alison says:

I’m at eggfreegourmet.wordpress.com. Am going to buy a domain in the New Year and change the name! And improve the photography 🙂