You simply can’t beat a flapjack for energy giving deliciousness but sometimes you want more than just sweet syrupy oats. I’m very fond of coconut flapjacks, but the girls aren’t so keen, so I’m constantly trying to develop new, exciting flavours to enhance such a simple staple.
This version uses freeze dried raspberries and lemon juice/ zest and boy, is it delicious or what! The freeze dried nuggets give a wonderful sweet berry tang and the lemon enhances and flavour and very slightly cuts through the sweetness. They may now be my all time favourite flapjack combination!
Raspberry and Lemon Flapjacks
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, can be gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
200g dairy free margarine (I use Pure soya or sunflower)
200g demerara sugar
200g golden syrup
400g oats (preferably not giant oats)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3rd cup freeze-dried raspberry pieces
zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1/2
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade. Line a 30×20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil
- Melt together the dairy free margarine, sugar, syrup, lemon juice, zest and salt. When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats, stir in the raspberry pieces
- Spread into the lined baking tray
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden
- remove from the oven and press down with a spatula for an even finish
- Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.
- Try not to eat too many!!